X-Men: Apocalypse

I was listening to a review of this film in which the reviewer claimed that this was more of a 'greatest hits' compilation than standalone film, and that rang very true for me. Many of the set-pieces felt like something we'd seen many times before. I think there are real motivation problems from the antagonist, the dialogue is laughably bad at times, the CGI is incredibly uneven, the plot is bloated, and the action feels very unspectacular.

Even with all of that, I wouldn't say that this film was bad. There were lots of awesome characters present; characters that I grew up with, and this movie did a good job with almost all of them. The film, despite its flaws, was still enjoyable and very fun at times. I didn't walk away disappointed, but I didn't walk away thrilled either.

6.5/10